Michelle tells young people that poetry is like "making magic with words" and her sessions typically involve audience participation, enacting of poems and a lot of interaction.
She is passionate about poetry and its potential to bring some magic into our lives. She believes that poetry can allow both young and old to express themselves more fully, and to appreciate themselves and the world around them with new wonder. "I want those I work with to go away feeling two things - firstly energised, and secondly, empowered by words and their endless possibilities in our lives".
Michelle's books include:
- 100 Ways to Fly (Children's Poetry) UQP, 2019. To see fun resources and teachers notes click here: 100 Ways to Fly - Resources
- If The World Belonged To Dogs (Children's poetry) UQP, 2007
- If Bees Rode Shiny Bicycles (Children's poetry) UQP, 2003
- Renovating (Poetry) Picaro Press, 2002
- The Angel Of Barbican High (YA Verse novel) UQP, 2001
- Bloom (Poetry), Vagabond Press, 2001
- Word For Word (An inspirational workbook for writers and teachers of writing), Queensland Writers Centre, 2000
- First Language (Poetry), Five Islands Press, 1999
Awards Received Include:
- If Bees Rode Shiny Bicycles voted one of the Top Titles for 2003 by The Australian Centre for Youth Literature
- Australian Family Therapists Award for The Angel Of Barbican High as a book useful for therapists
- Harri Jones Memorial Prize (for an Australian poet 35 years or under whose work in the field of poetry is judged to be outstanding)
Michelle was born in Brisbane in 1968, and grew up in Darwin and Brisbane. She has lived in Suffolk, Glasgow, London and the island of Madeira in Portugal. She has been writing and publishing for over twenty years. Michelle particularly enjoys taking poetry to young audiences and is a popular choice as a performer and workshop leader in schools and at literary festivals. Michelle has a degree in occupational therapy with many years experience working with those with mental and emotional health problems. She also has a Master of Arts in which she researched the role of monsters in stories to empower children and manage fears.
Michelle specialises in several areas including:
- Performance poetry, for preschool through to primary
- Poetry workshops for primary, high school and adults
- Workshops using creative writing to promote self awareness and self-confidence
100 Ways to Fly
Ready for take-off? Come along and make your own mobile. Choose some poems, create some of your own then transfer these on to stencilled outlines. Decorate them, cut them out then hang them to make your mobile.
Duration: 1 hour
Ideal for: children aged 8-12 years
I just wanted to say a big thank you for your wonderful poetry writing workshop last week. It was exactly what we were hoping for and more. Your delivery of information and ideas around poetry really helped the children understand the importance of authorship, creative writing and in particular the possible structure of poems. The students also gained a lot of insight in to how they themselves could become little poets/writers. By giving them the opportunity to put pen to paper, the workshop was so successful, and the feedback from both the teachers and students has been extremely positive.
Our literacy focus and writing journey for the year now has so much more significant material to build on and we feel the students will benefit greatly from your expertise as an experienced poet.
Best of luck with your future writing endeavours, please feel free to send through any additional information about any of your upcoming works. And the students are so looking forward to your new poetry collections book.
Graceville State School - March 2019Graceville State School - March 2019Michelle Taylor
Staff & students were very happy with Michelle’s presentation. She was also very generous with sharing her ideas and presentation resources. The workshop was very well conducted as she did pitch her presentation to suit the audience.
Michelle Taylor - Grace Lutheran Primary School, August, 2013.Michelle Taylor - Grace Lutheran Primary School, August, 2013.Michelle Taylor
Just wanted to email you to let you know how much the students enjoyed your visit during Enrichment Day. Their comments were overwhelmingly positive.
Thanks for all your preparation and effort in creating the workshops that the children enjoyed.
Michelle Taylor - Robertson State School, 2012Michelle Taylor - Robertson State School, 2012Michelle Taylor
She goes into classrooms and wrests the attention of jaded young minds into her world of wonderment.
Michelle Taylor - The Courier MailMichelle Taylor - The Courier MailMichelle Taylor
Formerly I questioned my ability. Michelle's presentation clarified my thinking and I am excited.
Michelle Taylor - Workshop participantMichelle Taylor - Workshop participantMichelle Taylor